4 Steps To Increase My Leadership Skills, Debra A. Thomas, MBA
Leadership is a valuable skill that everyone from any vocation or background can use for their benefit and the benefit of others.
For some people, effective leadership comes naturally, while others not so much. There are several methods that you can use to build and refine your leadership skills.
Ready to discover the leader in you! Try these techniques to boost your leadership skills:
- Strive for excellence. Harriet Braiker said it best, “Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” Keeping that in mind, part of being a successful leader is your ability to set the bar for others. Striving to pursue excellence will keep you focused on what matters. You can be a good role model by continually seeking ways to improve yourself and aspire to excellence.
- A hallmark of leadership is excellence. Work on honing your existing skills and developing new ones.
- Focus on your vision and set goals. Consider what you want to accomplish in different areas of your life. Set goals that will help you to achieve your vision. When setting goals:
- Start with set goals where you can periodically measure your performance and progress.
- Break up larger goals into smaller ones so that you can celebrate your successes and maintain your motivation.
- Learn to identify and use all of your resources in the pursuit of your goals. When making plans to reach your goal, always work with the resources you have in your current circumstances rather than develop strategies based on the support and conditions you wish to be a reality.
- Be willing to refine your plans and ultimate goals based on your progress as well as your dreams.
- Develop your people skills. Leaders are known for their ability to inspire others to work towards a common goal. To be successful at inspiring others to work with you, it’s essential to develop your people skills and emotional intelligence.
- Learn how to listen. Doing so helps establish a connection and build camaraderie and trust, so others are more likely to follow your lead and help you.
- Help others to be their best. Part of being a good leader is motivating others towards positive change.
- Seek input from others when discussing goals and plans to reach your objectives. Give others a stake in the results by seeking their opinion. They’ll be more motivated to help you.
- Be passionate and maintain a positive attitude. Most of us take cues from others in social situations to teach others to have a positive attitude and be passionate in their efforts by doing so yourself.
- Maintaining an upbeat attitude and giving your best effort helps to energize the entire team to accomplish more, regardless of the circumstances.
Taking the time to develop your leadership skills can radically increase the amount of success that you experience in all areas of your life. These tips can help you hone your leadership skills to achieve your goals and enjoy a more satisfying life.